Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Wellness Wednesday.

Is anyone else suffering from spring allergies at the moment?  They hit me last night while I was sleeping... You know - the dry nasal passages, sore throat and once I got out of bed gravity took over and my so-called dry nasal passages were filled with...well, you know.

As the day has gone on, I'm constantly sniffling and my face is starting to get a bit tender - right where my sinuses reside, above my eyes and below them around my cheeks.  I feel a bit aloof...you know, I'm here but it takes more effort to concentrate on the task at hand.

Surely I have something in my cabinet that can help with these symptoms... I peak in my kitchen pantry (pretty much the only storage space we have in our condo) and see my good ol' off-brand neti pot staring right back at me.

I'd like to thank Mr. Marvin for providing me with my very own blog photography!

So I pull it out of the box and start the warm water running in the kitchen sink.  I pour in a packet of sodium - the most important part (trust me, unless you enjoy pain) - and fill the little pot to the top.  I lean over the sink, gently place the spout in one nostril and lean over, carefully breathing in and out of my mouth - the second most important part.  INSTANT RELIEF.  I could feel the warm, saline solution washing those mean, little pieces of pollen away.  I'll definitely be doing this a few times a day to keep my nasal passages clear and those pesky allergy symptoms at bay.

A 2007 study from the University of Michigan looked at 121 adults with chronic nasal and sinus problems.  Over two months, scientists found that those treated with nasal irrigation reported greater improvements than those treated with a nasal spray.  Another independent study showed that children who did regular nasal irrigation with a mild saline solution significantly eased their severe allergy symptoms and helped reduced the need for nasal steroid sprays.

Just a few tips from my experience with the neti pot...
  • Definitely do not skip adding the sodium to the water, which makes the water a "saline solution".  Otherwise, you'll quickly be reminded why you used to plug your nose when you jumped into the lake/pool as a child.
  • Don't use this treatment if you are completely congested or "plugged up".  Simply cover one side of your nose and breathe in.  Is air still passing through?  Go for it.  No air passing through?  I'd wait a bit to use the neti pot, otherwise the water will just go down the back of your throat and you might choke/cough/hack-up-a-lung.  This is not a fun experience.   
I realize this is not a very attractive picture of me.  Thank you for loving me anyway!
I hope it helps you as much as it has been helping me!  Welcome Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment