Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wellness Wednesday

Ta-da!!!  Here is the second weekly theme - Wellness Wednesday!  The purpose of these posts will be to write about interesting health topics, in the most unbiased form possible.  I want to provide facts, not just opinions.  I won't even give my opinion on most topics - unless I just can't help myself, but of course I'll give fair warning.

I decided to make my first "Wellness Wednesday" post be more of a tip rather than an actual topic.  Mainly because my mind is still in vacation/winter break mode and I'm not quite in the mood yet to hit you all with a big, break-through topic.

It's hard enough to maintain a healthy diet, let alone during the holidays.  Perfect example, Tim and I just couldn't help ourselves as we walked into Kay's Pastry Shop - aka Grumpy Lady Bakery for those of you who follow my blog - on Madison St. this afternoon.  All the Italian cookies and mocha-red velvet-double chocolate cupcakes were totally calling out our names....I could instantly feel my pants tighten - ok, not really but I can envision these things in my mind people.


Anyways, we are getting ready to head to Palm Desert, CA for the holiday and I thought about how wonderful it is when we all get up on Christmas Eve morning and head to the "Bump and Grind" - no, it's not a nightclub (we can get pretty crazy when we're all together, especially in CA but we're not THAT crazy...) - a fun hiking trail that basically goes right up the side of a mini-mountain.  It's such a good workout and the best part is that it doesn't even really feel like a workout.  We all chit-chat about the exciting Christmas Eve dinner we have planned at our fav restaurant, La Spiga, and take in the sights as we hike our way up.  (I'll have to take some pics of the Bump and Grind trail this year...)

My sis climbing a tree after one of our morning walks at a previous holiday in the desert.  Another option for a Christmas Eve or Christmas morning activity. =)

There is something about that fun little activity that makes that beer poolside and super-ridiculously-yummy dinner that much more enjoyable.

My sis enjoying an adult beverage, poolside, at a previous holiday in the desert - after a morning hike of course =)

So my holiday health tip is get the family up Christmas Eve or Christmas morning and head outside (weather permitting) or head to the gym and do something fun - something active.  If you're lucky enough to get a white Christmas, bundle up, grab a sled and your loved ones and head outside for a few hours.  Head to the gym and challenge the family to a racquetball tournament.  No gym, no snow and too cold?  Cold, schmold.  We get some pretty chilly days up north here in Chi-town, but bundle up right and hit up a cool wilderness trail or play at the park.  After awhile, you won't even notice the chilly temps.  You'll get those endorphins (and metabolism!) going and I'll safely bet that you'll feel much better throughout the day.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday with friends and family!  Also, if there are any health or wellness topics you'd like to see me research and blog about, please feel free to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment