Saturday, September 25, 2010

Adjusting.

Okay, okay.  So I know it's been two weeks since my last post.  And it was originally my goal to post at least once a week, but that was before I really dove into my new hectic schedule.  Honestly, I actually sat down last weekend to make a post but my heart just wasn't in it.  I think I was still in homesick mode and decided to sit and pout instead of write.  Thankfully, that time passed.

Speaking of time passing, holy moly I can't believe this coming Monday will be the start of week #4 with school.  Classes are going well.  I'll tell you what, this professional school deal is on a whole different level.  As my wonderful father-in-law emailed me this week, "Professional school is a bit more serious because you're playing with real ammo now."  Which is a great, very true point.  My typical day consists of lecture and labs from morning to late afternoon, and then about 3-4 hours of studying at night on top of that.  On Thursday we had our "White Coat" ceremony which I guess I felt a bit indifferent about.  At first I'm thinking, hey isn't this a bit premature?  I mean we just started the program.  I kinda felt that this should be something we go through once we complete the program and pass boards.  But at the same time after listening to a very inspirational, wake-up time speech from the president of the university, it's time to get serious and realize what kind of responsibility you are taking on here.  Now don't get me wrong, I definitely knew beforehand what kind of business I was getting myself into, but it did feel good to hear that message and for it to really sink in.  It really reassured me that I am definitely in the right place and I couldn't be more excited to learn and be challenged on a daily basis for the rest of my career.  I figured the only bad thing that could of happened out of all this is that I would feel the exact opposite.  And boy am I sure glad I don't feel that way!

My apartment is finally starting to feel more like my "home away from home".  I know the pain I get in my chest from missing my real home when my mind is taking a break from studying is only temporary.  But I am surrounded by a great area, right smack dab in the middle of a nice residential neighborhood.  There's a beautiful park with great walking paths right across the street, complete with soccer fields and baseball diamonds usually filled with small children and their families during the week.  DuPage University is right in my backyard.  I'm about a mile away from a wonderful Whole Foods store, and when I need some fresh air I just open my patio door and gaze out at the lake just to my left.  But I must admit, I sure do miss my wonderful little patio in Wichita, the smell of pinon pine drafting from our cute chiminea, watching the leaves change...and of course the company of my wonderful husband and our sweet dogs.

The view of the lake from my patio

A must have in my apartment
 I'll end this post with some inspirational quotes I found from the wrappers of the awesome Dove dark chocolate minis I must eat everyday.  I know they've given me a little boost of energy and confidence, just when I needed it most...

"Inspire others to be their best by being your best."

"Learn something everyday."

"Don't stress.  Just think, and this too shall pass."

No comments:

Post a Comment